Harry Jones, 2009 Inductee
A well-respected early tribal leader at Fort McDowell, Mr.Harry Jones was born near Clarkdale in the upper Verde Valley sometime around 1903.Â His boarding school records show that he attended Clarkdale Indian Day School, Fort Mohave Indian School, Haskell Indian School, Carlyle Indian School. He received his high school degree from Haskell in 1918. It was there that he learned the trade of commercial baker. He moved to Phoenix taking a job as a baker. He left that position to become a cook at a Christian School where he studied to become a minister. In 1923 he was sent to Fort McDowell to become minister at the Fort McDowell Presbyterian Church. After the move, he and his wife, Erile Eula Jones, lived in the former doctor’s quarters of the former Fort McDowell Army Post. It was the last remaining structure of the former military facility and was located next to the Presbyterian church. They had eight children including Gilbert, LeRoy, Phyllis, Thomas, Leticia, Helen, Ralph and Lorena. Gilbert served as Tribal Council Chairman. Mr. Jones also served on the Fort McDowell Tribal Council for one term and was always involved in the affairs of the community.