John Van Der Werf, 2005 Inductee (1916-2009)
One of Fountain Hills’ earliest residents, John Van Der Werf was the first financial supporter of the Fountain Festival of Arts and Crafts. He and wife Pat purchased the first “Best of Show” painting in the art festival and later donated the art piece to the River of Time Museum. A charter member of the Fountain Hills Historical Society, he gave the first donation ($1,000) to kick off the campaign to build the museum. He also served a term on the Road District Board of Trustees in the 1970s. Mr. Van Deer Werf was an original member of the Noon Kiwanis Club, was a founding member of The Club and gave financial help to form the Fountain Hills Art League and Council. He was heavily involved in the design, construction and financial sponsorship of the Catholic Church of the Ascension in Fountain Hills. He retired in Fountain Hills after founding the Border Products firm in Phoenix that was listed among the state’s Top 100 companies. He was also a founding member of the Fountain Hills Chamber of Commerce.